Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Young Avengers #1 Review

I don't think it will come as any surprise that I was excited for this book. The Young Avengers have long been my favourite comic book team, Wiccan's my favourite superhero and I loved Kid-Loki in Journey Into Mystery. So I picked up this book with high hopes, and thankfully Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie delivered. Beware, spoilers ahead.

The opening pages (which have been floating around the internet for weeks now) are goregous! The art team have created some great visuals and the first fight scene of the series is stunning. Reminiscent of the layouts in Matt Fraction's and David Aja's Hawkeye, these highly stylized sequences are some of my favourites in comics and are a joy with these characters.

Moving on from these initial pages, my other favourite moments in this issue were the interactions between Wiccan and Hulkling. Gillen writes a truly believable relationship between the two and, as with JIM, it's in these smaller character moments where his writing shines. It's also nice to see Teddy stand up for himself instead of simply following Billy (Sorry, Wiccan. Don't worry you're still my favourite).

After this we get to spend some time with everybody's favourite teenage God of Mischief, Kid-Loki. I just love this version of Loki. He's funny and witty, but with a malicious edge. An actual God of Mischief, which Loki often isn't portrayed as (usually he's just evil). and I can't wait to see some him interact with the rest of the team. Although if anyone can explain how JIM ended I'd be grateful (I'm still confused whether this is actual Kid-Loki, Adult Loki in a teenage body or a combination of the two).

In short, a really strong opening issue. The art and writing for this issue is brilliant and I love all the characters so far (admittedly I am slightly biased in the case of Loki, Wiccan, Hulking and Hawkeye). It will be interesting to see the team come together and how thing's progess. My only negative, the months wait before #2.

4 and a half stars

No comments:

Post a Comment