Thursday, 18 October 2012

The Perk of Being a Wallflower (or that time I was creative)

Dear Charlie,

I'm touched you think of me as such as a good friend but I have to admit it took me a long time to get around to reading your letters. I'm sorry. I sincerely wish I had sat down to peruse them sooner but I was just too busy (I wish I could say with participating but that's probably a lie).

Let me just say how inspirational I found your story. Despite everything the world threw at you and your friends, you all just carried on. Charlie, I have to tell you, I relate to you a lot. Well to the times before you met Sam and Patrick, the shy wallflower. I think that's why I was so affected by your story, it reminded me of myself and I'm sure most people will see parts of themselves in you.

I don't really have much else to say to you because, well, I don't think you need it. Within that year of your life you shared with me you made it. Thats the important part. Despite all the obstacles, some of your own making, you survived and to me that's the true moral of your story. No matter how dark things may get, there's always light at the end of the tunnel. Well that and the importance of friendship.

Thank you for sharing your story with me. When I finished all your letters and saw your happy ending, for one moment, I felt infinite

Love always,
A Friend

NEXT READ: Uglies by Scott Westerfield

Afterthought: Ever since seeing the Perks film I have been listening to the soundtrack non-stop, to the point where I nearly know the entirety of Charlie's Last Letter. Nothing wrong there. However I now have 'Come on Eileen' stuck in my head and have been singing it all day. Sorry to anyone who's been offended by my awful voice...

No comments:

Post a Comment